Jack

His name was Jack, my imaginary friend, he was there with me whilst living in Guernsey. He went between living in the house and living in an imaginary world of his own. I could always go there to play with Jack, we played tag the most. The world Jack belonged to had a never ending grass path with trees standing either side like soldiers in line, a wire fence on the left with masses of bushes and brambles growing behind it and to the right was nothing, except for the light from the sun. Trees creating a canopy over this never ending grassy path, Jack and I chased eachother, running back and forth playing tag. Whenever I was scolded as a child, Jack would wait in his own world, where I would later return.

This place always felt safe to me, happiness and warmth captured you as you entered this place. It was always in sun light and always green like a summers day. It was idyllic. My last memory of it wasn’t a fond one, I ran from Jack, not for a game of tag but for the fact that he was mean towards me. After we moved away from Guernsey, I never spoke of Jack again, 2 years ago my mother asked if I recalled Jack and surprised myself in having the ability to still being able to describe him. No one ever knew of Jacks world, When I think about it now, I wouldn’t want to return there as to me, Jack and the trees it was really ever only an escape from the reality of my parents divorce. But I’ll always remember the happiness I found there.

-----------

Story from Eleanor Spence, re-written by myself

Comments

Popular Posts